Thursday, March 22, 2012

TV Review: Season 14 "Dancing with the Stars" premiere

I know I'm kind of late but due to my work schedule this week I wasn't able to watch the whole show until last night. I'm also not a dancer so all comments are based on my opinion only regarding entertainment value.

1. Maria Menounos & Derek Hough

I didn't see the first season and there were some shows in the seasons I didn't watch, but this is the first time I can remember Derek and his partner ever going first. I've heard at other fan sites and forums through the years that Derek is considered sort of the 'golden child' of DWTS so it made me wonder if perhaps he's fallen from grace. Or maybe the show execs are doing what they can this year to show he's not all that favored. Who knows but it was quite interesting.

Anyway, the dance wasn't bad for a first dance of the season. Not anything to write home about but not awful. Maria sort of had a deer-in-the-headlights plastic look on her face throughout but that could be attributed to nerves. She was first after all and from what I understand, she has like zero dance experience. If she loosens up and looks like she's enjoying herself, she just might become a contender. Score: 21

2. Jack Wagner & Anna Trebunskaya

I’ve always loved the 'redheaded Russian' and her choreography and tonight was no different. For anyone else, the cheesy intro might have made me turn the channel (or in this case fast forward) but she makes it work with the rest of the dance. She really showed how Jack could take the dance and have fun with it. It was light and airy. Jack did a wonderful job and Anna complimented his strengths well. Still he seemed hesitant at times but for a first week dance, it was pretty good. I’m looking forward to seeing what they can do next week. Score: 23

3. Donald Drive & Peta Murgatroyd

Last year, Peta was off first and if this dance is any indication, she shouldn’t be first this time. Donald is pretty well-known in the ‘Cheesehead’ community so he should garner some fan votes and he’s got some moves too. With as big as he is, I’m not really sure how he’s going to manage the elegant formal ballroom styles but he can definitely get ‘funky’. The first boos of the season were heard when his scores were revealed and, entertainment-wise, I felt it better than Maria and Derek’s so I have to agree. Score: 21

4. Gavin DeGraw & Karina Smirnoff

I’m going to admit when he was first announced as a contestant this year I had no idea who he was. But after Googling him I realized I’d heard his songs on several TV shows I watch and really liked them. Just never paid attention before who performed them. Sad, isn’t it? Anyway, Gavin made me think of Joey Fatone when he danced. He’s fun and entertaining, even playfully dished some back to the judges during the comments. He needs to work on making some of the moves sharper if he plans on making it to the end like Joey but he’s got potential. Score: 20

5. Roshon Fagon & Chelsie Hightower

This was another one I had to Google, but unlike Gavin, I still had no idea who he was after I did. His hip-hop style was a little what I expected from Romeo in Season 12. Chelsie really did well capitalizing on those skills and allowing Roshon to take the spotlight on night one, something not normally done in my opinion. But that ‘flash’ isn’t going to work for every dance but I do hope he at least makes it to the freestyle dances. I can only imagine how awesome Chelsie would be able to choreography that with Roshon’s skills. Score: 23

6. Sherri Shepherd & Val Chmerkovskiy

I love Sherri but who wasn’t jealous when Val told her to squeeze his rear? WOW! As Sherri put it, “There is a god!” LOL. Overall, Sherri really looked like she was enjoying herself in the dance. Though the score seems to indicate she did fairly well, I can’t say how she did technically. I was too caught up in how much fun she seemed to be having. I hope she stays around for a while. Score: 23

7. Melissa Gilbert & Maksim Chmerkovskiy

Like many others of my generation, I grew up watching Half Pint, I mean, Melissa Gilbert on TV. When I heard she was going to be on DWTS and paired with Maks, I knew I’d be watching this season. Unfortunately I wasn’t blown away. The choreography was extremely difficult, especially for week 1, but I don’t know if that’s what bothered me. I tend to expect more fun and flirty dancing in the first week to help us get to know them but they seemed so serious. Then again, it could have been that outfit distracting me. Whoa! In the past, the pro dancer has had input on the costumes and if that’s still the case, I don’t’ know what Maks was thinking. Hopefully next week will be better or she could find herself in jeopardy soon. Score: 20

8. William Levy & Cheryl Burke

William was the third star I had to look up this year but considering it was only three of twelve that I didn’t know this year compared to three of twelve I did know, that’s not too bad. Anyway, Googling him (especially the pictures) made me want to know him. HOT! HOT! HOT! I love that Cheryl seems just as taken with the guy as the rest of us. The dancing didn’t seem much more than a bunch of hip gyrations, but since the Latin dance involve that ‘skill’ and the ladies like it, I guess it’s not so bad. I do expect him to go far as long as he doesn’t get tripped up on the more serious ballroom styles but we’ll see. Great scores! . Score: 24

9. Martina Navratilova & Tony Dovolani

Did anyone besides me have flashbacks of Kate Gosselin when they saw Martina in that dress? Not the dancing. Just the image. *shakes head* Not good. Did they recycle that thing from Kate’s season? Fortunately, Martina did better on the dance and wasn’t as stiff but you could still tell she was totally out of her element. I guess you need to give her credit considering she’s spent nearly all her life involved in a tough, physically demanding sports career. Like Laila Ali, it’s got to be hard making the transition. For now, she just seems very timid. I’m hoping she comes out next week or she could be at the bottom. Score: 20

10. Katherine Jenkins & Mark Ballas

I love, love, love this woman’s voice and really can’t wait to see her doing a waltz or a tango after that foxtrot. Her classical training and musicality should give her the grace, elegance and yes even passion to knock those styles out of the park, er, ballroom. I hope Mark can get her to loosen up a little more and have some fun on the floor. She seemed so polished and professional throughout the whole dance I totally expect her to belt out an aria or something any moment. Definitely one to watch though. Score: 26

11. Gladys Knight & Tristan MacManus

The Pips really should have let Ms. Knight take a turn on the stage. She’s got rhythm. She’s got class. And like Bruno said, she’s “a star, a real one.” Not at all what I expected for a woman her age (or even half her age). Very impressive. My only concern is her stamina for the quicker songs like the jive and quickstep, because after all she is nearly 68. Hopefully, she’ll be able to keep up because I’d really like to see her stick around for a while. Score: 23

12. Jaleel White & Kym Johnson

Urkel can dance!!! LOL! I don’t know if Jaleel has any past dance training or experience but the comparison to Gregory Hines in the movie White Nights was right on the mark. That spin/leap at the beginning of the dance was very reminiscent of the one in the movie. And it totally rocked!!! He’s coming out of the gates strong and if he can continue to channel a bit of Stefan, especially for the ballroom dances, he might just have this one locked up. Really can’t wait to see him dance next week! Score: 26


I hope you enjoyed this season’s premiere as much as I did. They really picked a great, talented cast. Who were your favorites? Who do you think might go home first?

See you next Tuesday before the elimination show and then again on Wednesday when we’ll talk about who got voted off. Until then, keep dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment