Tuesday, March 27, 2012

TV Review: Season 14 "Dancing with the Stars" Week 2

Another great week of dancing on DWTS. The scores spread out a little bit more than the six points we had last week but there are still some pretty clear top, middle, and bottom of the pack contenders. How did your favorite do?

1. Roshon and Chelsie – Quickstep

In describing this dance, Tom Bergeron took the words out of my mouth. “Very high energy.” Don’t know about the judges but that’s what I’m looking for in the quickstep and that energy has to last throughout the dance. I think Roshon did that well tonight. It was very enjoyable and surprised me a lot. He transformed his hip-hop background very well into this sophisticated dance. Score 26 Total 49/60

2. Sherri and Val – Jive

Fun. Energetic. Wish I had that much oomph in my caboose. The flicks and kicks I normally see in that were lacking. Totally missed the pulling between his legs but I loved that she just kept going. Made me wonder if it was on purpose or not. Enjoyed it. Score 23 Total 46/60

3. Melissa and Maks – Quickstep

Maks makes them cry no matter what he does. If he’s strict, they cry. If he praises them, they cry. The boy just can’t win. Over all, there were some fumbles but the complexity of the dance deserved higher than 6s and 7s. They at least did everything in their dance do it sort of irks me they got low scores. Part of it makes me wonder if they are holding Maks to a higher standand for teaching since he does it all year long. Do they expect him to be able to teach a student better in the same amount of time as the others? Makes you wonder. Overall, I think Melissa did a great job and kept in hold. I do wish she smile or something. Show us she’s having fun, even if “the Quickstep is harder than giving birth.” LOL Score 20 Total 40/60

4. Jack and Anna – Jive

I really liked their pass-through, very unique going from front to back. It had good content and for the most part seemed energetic. There was parts where Jack looked like he couldn’t wait until it was over, not that I blame him. The Jive is a MONSTER! Technically it had some difficulties but I think that will become better with the more confidence he gets. Score 21 Total 44/60

5. Gladys and Tristan – Quickstep

NICE! The music a little slower than expected for a quickstep but don’t want the woman to have a heart attack. Her frame wasn’t as formal as it should be and she sagged a lot towards Tristan. Overall, it was entertaining and the five was not called for. I’ve seen worse performances in previous years get higher scores. Not cool, Len! Score 19 Total 42/60

6. Katherine and Mark – Jive

I love that a big star like Katherine could still get so embarrassed by the suggestion to “shake her naughty bits”. Mark is one choreographer good at getting the shaking going on the dance floor, though parts were a little over the top. Katherine has some amazing legs and did the flicks and kicks like a pro. I worried last week that she might not be able to keep up with the sexy dances but she’s proving me wrong. WTG! Score 26 Total 52/60

7. Jaleel and Kym – Jive

Great energy in this but the precision wasn’t there. I was really disappointed in the kicks but overall it was enjoyable. Jaleel showed a lot of ability last week but this week was just so-so. He sort of fell into the middle of the pack this week and I’ve seen many in the middle fall due to lack of votes. I don’t think he has much to worry about though. I’m really hoping he redeems himself next week. Score 22 Total 48/60

8. Maria and Derek – Quickstep

Better than last week, but I’m still not sure if she’s going to make it for the long run. She maintained a great frame throughout, good hold/body contact when needed, though it did look like a lift in that front corner. Guess the lift police wasn’t paying attention. Overall it was good job and I think Derek has enough votes to keep her in next week regardless. Score 25 Total 46/60

9. Martina and Tony – Jive

I loved, loved, loved the inclusion of the judges in the beginning and end of the dance. It’s always cute to see their expressions (and I’m sure it doesn’t hurt to distract them a little from the actual dance). Martina still seems very hesitant on the dance floor and with the caliber of celebrities this year, I’m not sure if she’s going to have time to get that confidence. Hopefully, she’ll be able to pull it off, but I think she’s going to be one in jeopardy tonight. Score 17 Total 37/60

10. Donald and Peta - Quickstep

This guy is adorable and totally rocks since he got Len to admit to under-marking him. WTG Donald!!! He has great moves on the dance floor and lots of stamina. Another lift the lift police didn’t catch but you gotta give them (as well as Maria and Derek) for risking it. While Donald has middle of the pack scores, I think he’s going to do well and move into the top soon. Score 24 Total 45/60

11. Gavin and Karina – Jive

The kicks and flicks were not as sharp as they needed to be tonight for great scores but still better than last week. Gavin needs to learn some confidence in himself so that his charisma shines through in the dance. He still seems too much in his head while he’s dancing. He’s a musician. The musicality should flow through him like a Jedi but so far, it doesn’t play well on the screen. Score 21 Total 41/60

12. William and Cheryl - Quickstep

William has awesome sex appeal which is evident by all the screaming when he took the floor. Unfortunately the Quickstep requires a little more than just sex appeal. His frame was weak towards the end and he needs to learn to pull his butt under when he dances. Technique is very specific in this dance and the points should have reflected this. However, I feel that only Len’s did. He did have good connection with Cheryl though the dance was over scored. Score 25 Total 49/60

So who do you think will get the boot tonight? Who is going to make it to the finals? And who has the potential to take home the coveted Mirror Ball? Leave your comments below and check back tomorrow for a recap of tonight's elimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment